The mission of InCommon is to create and support a common trust framework for U.S. education and research. This includes trustworthy shared management of access to on-line resources in support of education and research in the United States. To achieve its mission, InCommon will facilitate development of a community-based common trust fabric sufficient to enable participants to make appropriate decisions about the release of identity information and the control of access to protected online resources. InCommon is intended to enable production-level end-user access to a wide variety of protected resources.
InCommon Steering Committee
The InCommon Steering Committee is responsible for managing the business and affairs of InCommon, including oversight
and recommendations on issues arising from the operation and
management of InCommon. Policies and practices approved by
the Steering Committee are available on the Policies page.
We also have a list of current and past Steering members.
- Jack Suess, University of Maryland, Baltimore County – Chair
- Joel Cooper, Swarthmore
College – Secretary
- Mark Crase, California State University - Treasurer
- Michael Gettes, Carnegie Mellon University - Assistant Secretary
- Ardoth Hassler, Georgetown University
- Chris Holmes, Baylor University
- Klara Jelinkova, University of Chicago - Vice Chair
- Ken Klingenstein, Internet2 (ex officio)
- Marilyn McMillan, New York University
- Kevin Morooney, Penn State
- John O'Keefe, Lafayette College
- Rodney Petersen, EDUCAUSE (ex officio)
- Craig Stewart, Indiana University
- George Strawn, Networking and Information Technology Research and Development (NITRD)
- David Wasley, retired, University of California Office of the President
InCommon Technical Advisory Committee
The InCommon Technical Advisory Committee provides recommendations relating to the operation and management of InCommon with respect to technical issues. See the TAC charter for more information.
- Steven Carmody, Brown University – Co-Chair
- Renee Shuey, Penn State
- Tom Barton, University of Chicago
- Jim Basney, University of Illinois
- Scott Cantor, The Ohio State University
- Paul Caskey, University of Texas System
- Michael Gettes, Carnegie Mellon University
- Keith Hazelton, University of Wisconsin - Madison
- Jim Jokl, University of Virginia
- Ken Klingenstein, InCommon Steering Committee
- Mike LaHaye, Internet2
- Nick Roy, Penn State
- David Walker, Independent
- Ian Young, U.K. Access Management Federation
- In Memoriam - R.L. "Bob" Morgan, University of Washington
InCommon is operated by Internet2 staff, who are responsible for the business, policy implementation, technical operations, identity verification, and support of InCommon and its federation participants.